Tuesday, February 13, 2007

tread softly

During my first few years of teaching I would get sick every time we had a break. It's like I could hold it together because I had to, but then when I could rest my body would just fall apart. This happened almost as soon as Mothership and I got on an airplane to Europe during the mid-winter break of my second year of teaching. I coughed and sniffled my way through the Tower of London, The Louvre, Notre Dam, The Muse D'Orsay...etc.

Perhaps that is what is happening now only it isn't so much a physical sickness, since I am (other than the lack of rest) taking pretty good care of myself. Well, I take that back. Now that I see it in writing I have to face the fact that it simply isn't true. The truth is that perhaps in comparison to many other people, I have been taking good care of myself. But I am not other people and the reality is that I require some extra care. I don't know why (maybe I have my parents to blame for this one) but I have a delicate system. I don't just eat healthfully because it is "what is right," I do it because if I don't then I feel like crap. And, truth be told, I require at least 8 hours of sleep each night (this one I cannot blame on Dad, since he can do 4 or 5 most nights and be fine...Mom can easily sleep 12 a night, though). If I don't eat enough (which has been the case lately) then my blood sugar levels get really low and it impacts both my mood and my sense of physical well-being, which right now feels shot.

OK, so I've established that I am possibly feeling so crappy not only for emotional reasons, but for physical ones as well. It really is the whole chicken-and-egg thing...not to be too cliche, but "I don't eat because I don't feel good, then I don't feel good because I don't eat"...or was it the other way around?

Hmmmm...

Today is CD 5
"I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams." -W.B. Yeats

What a nice quote, I like that one a lot.

I am home "early" today. Oh, I read something yesterday that was a throw-back to my New Age/Metaphysical days (not that they are totally behind me, but back in my hippy college days I was pretty into all of that stuff) and it made me think about the power of our words. So today I was thoughtful about the words I use and paid attention to how I answer people when they ask me how I am and stuff. Sure, the answer is that I am tired and feel like crap. But does it really help to go on and on about it? I just thought of it because I did leave work at a reasonable time today (it wasn't technically anywhere near early). I was in Sheri's office just before I left and when I said goodbye she said something nice and positive about me leaving then.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Sounds like you're a bit hypoglycemic, as I am. So I'm going to use that as an excuse to get maternal on you. Just like you've promised yourself you'll post daily, will you also be conscious of eating right for yourself? I'm always wondering why my husband and other people can be fine skipping meals and gorging at the end of the day while I'd be shaking and sick. You've got to go with the body and metabolism you've got.

Think about how much better you'll feel during that first trimester morning sickness & exhaustion if you take care now. (That's my way of sending you good luck for ttc this month)

By the way, would it be okay if I add a link to your blog from the one I've started this week?

Sara

BasilBean said...

Hi Sara,
You're right, I've had a tendency toward being hypoglycemic since I was a child. Usually I am so much better about eating right. No excuses, though, I need to tare care of myself.

Yes, of course you can add me as a link. I look forward to seeing your blog.