Tuesday, February 6, 2007

I think I rather like satisfying my desires...

Now that I read it again, today's quote kind of sucks:
"I have learned to seek my happiness by limiting my desires, rather than attempting to satisfy them." -John Stuart Mills

Don't get me wrong, it is not that I can't see the wisdom in it, it just doesn't sound like much fun.

Grades are done! No, not 100% done (we were given a bit of extra time for the seniors so that we can enter the film festival grades in as first semester grades) but most of the way done. Done enough to be pretty darn happy now.

Dash found me...what can I say? Maybe I was in denial, definitely smug, but I did think it would take much longer. What was that hint I gave? Hmmmm...well, that's just fine I guess. I like Dash.

I had to go to the dentist today. I really loath the dentist (in general, not personally...today was the first day I really met the guy). He took me into this room before they did my full set of x-rays and did the exam. He talked to me about my experiences and some thoughts he had based on my initial x-rays and whatnot. It went well. It isn't going to be inexpensive...I have insurance, but it still costs quite a bit. But it is necessary, so I will do what needs to be done. He seems like a pretty cool guy, too. He is a painter, and a good one at that. He showed me four paintings that he as up in his office. He paints in acrylic on plexiglass--mostly using reverse painting techniques. Very cool...it gives the paintings this mysterious quality with so much depth.

Lots of new students, from Linda's classes. I hate that thing I have to do to set the "tone" with new students. It isn't as though I have to act that differently, it is just...a lot of work mentally to be so...it's hard to explain. Not only do I have to make everything so over-the-top clear (they don't know all of the classroom routines and expectations, like the other students do, so I cannot speak in any sort of vague terms or even specific terms that they just don't know yet) and I also want to get to know them and for them to get to know me, so I end up spending a lot of time going from person to person making small talk and asking them questions. And, of course, setting behavior expectations too (yes, I am firm...no I really do mean it;yes, I am nice--but no, you cannot take advantage of me or get away with that bullshit).

Still just spotting. But it is still only 13 dpo so I'm not beyond the range of normal. No, not obsessing, just keeping a record.

I picked up the helium tank and carpet again today. Now just as long as it doesn't snow tonight...

No comments: