Wednesday, January 24, 2007

something's going on in there

After negative OPKs on cd 9, 11, 12, & 13 I finally got a positive one on cd 14. It caught me off guard, really. I started testing on cd 9 since you never know how early ovulation might occur and I figured I'd give myself a pretty big window. As I said before, I kept getting negatives each day. On cd 13 I thought that the surge line might be getting a little bit darker. I fished the old tests out of the garbage to compare them! My conlcusion was that they were getting slightly darker, so that might be a good sign. But since the hormone is always present to some extent, even when not having a true surge, I didn't make too much of it.

Well yesterday was cd14 and I decided to test when I was at work. I looked at the test and thought for sure that the line was darker than it ever had been. I realize that the surge line has to be as dark or darker than the reference line, but it was looking pretty close. So, once again, I wanted to compare it to a test from the day before and I knew that I had one in my waste basket under my desk. So I compared the two and quickly recognized that the line was far darker than the day before. Almost as soon as I made that realization I also started to realize that something was different between the two tests--the little arrow that points to the surge line...the test I had just taken had that arrow pointing the "wrong" way. In other words, I was reading the test wrong. It wasn't that the surge line was almost as dark as the reference line, it was that the surge line was actually darker than the reference line.

So I got a positive OPK. And I was celebrating this fact. Only now I am a bit confused and worried at what my body is doing. Maybe it is ovulation pains, I don't know, but I am having lots of crampey feelings. Lots. Not just a "twinge" or whatever. I told Mr. C this and he was just like..."Well, I told you that getting pregnant is not going to be a problem...I just hope you aren't pregnant already."

Cuz um...we did have unprotected sex on Saturday. And even if I ovulated today then that was just 4 days ago (so three days before I ovulated). And they say those little fellas can survive in there for up to 5 days.

Now this isn't the mind of a baby-crazed woman at work. If anything it is the mind of a woman who is worried that there might be something terribly wrong with her (which of course would mean that I couldn't ever have a child...this is where my mind always goes). And I realize that the most likely explanation is that I am not pregnant, that there is nothing terribly wrong with me...nothing wrong at all. Most likely it is just that I have been on the pill for a few months and my body is just readjusting to things.

Dang, though, if I am pregnant I will NEVER hear the end of it from Mr. C. He is really looking forward to trying. But here is what happened. It isn't one of those great stories, like some condom malfunction or something. This will be totally TMI, but it is my blog so I will tell what happened anyway. Anyone reading this that doesn't care to know intimate details from my bedroom can stop reading now. So we are doing it, and the big moment is about to arrive, and he starts to pull out. And I tell him no, it's ok. So he doesn't pull out. That's it. I really thought that I wasn't going to ovulate for a loooong time, so therefore it was ok. It will probably turn out that it was, indeed, ok. But there is a chance that I was very wrong. And poor Mr. C will give me a bad time about it until the end of time.

I guess there is nothing much to do but wait and see.

No comments: