Wednesday, January 10, 2007

so I guess they were right

I got up this morning and immediately got online to check the school district's website. There was a light dusting of snow here, but I work so far away from the school that the weather here and there can be extremely different. Just as I was logging on the phone rang. It was Angie calling to tell me that school was cancelled. She was worried that I might not get the call, so she wanted to let me know. I took the phone back to bed with me and had a hard time falling back to sleep. Eventually the phone rang again and it was Becky, who's job it is to call me (and others she is assigned to). Then, just as I was falling asleep, the phone rang again. This time it was the district's automated phone system.

I slept in until 10:00! I spent a good deal of time on the phone and on the computer contacting as many people as possible to let them know the event would have to be postponed.

Now we are covered in a light blanket of snow and I really don't know what tonight and tomorrow might bring. The news teaser seems to indicate that it will get worse. But the local news is always so sensationalized when it comes to these things. So, once again I am flippantly thinking "yah, we'll see." The thing about it that really sucks (besides the fact that we are now up to three extra days added to the end of the school year) is that I have a carpet and a helium tank in my car that are supposed to be returned tomorrow. If the snow gets really bad then I will call them again tomorrow and do my best to help them to find sympathy on me.

OK, after writing this next part here I am going back and writing this warning: I go on and on about why my anxiety is so bad when it comes to going to the dentist. If anyone actually chooses to read it, then it is not without being warned. I apologize.
_________________________________________________________
I finally made my dental appointments today! A small victory, I know, but it is something that has been weighing on my mind. The receptionist was so nice and seemed so understanding of my anxiety. She at first wanted to schedule the cleaning and check-up for one two hour appointment but was more than willing to schedule them for different days. I really had made some progress in regard to my fear of the dentist a few years ago. But Dr. Jones just did me in the last time I saw him. I really would have wanted to continue to have him as a dentist, as I felt such a connection to him and his family. He took my wisdom teeth out when I was in my mid 20s and I cleaned his house once a week for a couple of years while I put myself through graduate school (well, the second year I was in grad. school, the first year I was just a poor working girl). I didn't have any insurance, so he was willing to help me out. His wife was so kind, too. And then when my molar had to come out (I had one tooth that simply didn't have a replacement/"adult" tooth under it) he did the bridge. That was traumatic (in order to put in the bridge over the tooth lost, they have to--as I see it--sacrifice the two teeth adjacent to it by whittling them down to tiny nubs and fitting the "false teeth" over it...ugh). He refused to give me any drugs to calm me down, even though I requested them. His response was that it was important for me to get through it on my own. He said that dealing with my fear and anxiety without the aid of drugs would help me to overcome it and therefore would help me out for the rest of my life. Yes, I can see how this might be so. And, in fact, I made it through the initial procedure and did feel a sense of accomplishment and a newfound courage. But then the pain set in. You see, they first have to put a temporary bridge on while the permanent one is being made. The adhesive used to fit the temporary bridge irritated my gums and caused excruciating pain that literally kept me up for two nights before they could see me. Then when they were cleaning up the poor little remains of my two sacrificed teeth in order to fit the permanent bridge they had trouble getting me properly numbed. I complained of the pain and they gave me another shot. It happened again and I'm pretty sure that they tried once more to give me another shot...at any rate, it didn't work. I was in the worst pain of my life. The dental assistant apologized and said that she knew what I was going through as she had recently had a root canal and had a similar situation where they weren't able to get her properly numbed. She said that it hurt worse than natural childbirth, which she had gone through twice. Now, after going through the pain of childbirth myself (and passing a piece of placental tissue that was twice the size of my thumb a couple of months after William's birth) I can say for myself that the pain was worse. Maybe it is because it is right there inside of the head? I wasn't able to go to my "happy place"--wasn't able to focus, breathe, meditate...nothing. And I haven't been back since.

When was that? I shutter to really calculate.
__________________________________________________________
Wow, I wrote a lot about that. Even though I am fully aware of how this blog stuff works now (and that it isn't my own pesonal journal...I mean heck, I have actually purposeflully shared it) I still want to be able to write without (too much) self-consciousness about whether or not it is *interesting*. And yes, I am aware that it is precisely those sorts of self-conscious tangents that are the furthest from being interesting.

After I was up for a while today I was thinking more clearly than I was last night and have come to the conclusion that I will not try to get pregnant this month. I need a good month still of taking my vitamins and whatnot. And I have several projects around the house that I want to do before there is a small being growing inside. Things that involve paint and stain and other things that are not advisable when pregnant.

I went to one of the blogs I visit and found a link to this quiz you can take that tells you what your religious/spiritual beliefs are most in line with. I don't know how yet to create a link to another blog/site/whatever (I will ask Mr. C if he can show me how later).
Here is what it told me:
1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (92%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (84%)
4. Orthodox Quaker (82%)
5. Reform Judaism (80%)
6. Sikhism (70%)
7. Eastern Orthodox (69%)
8. Roman Catholic (69%)
9. Seventh Day Adventist (66%)
10. Neo-Pagan (65%)
11. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (64%)
12. Hinduism (63%)
13. Orthodox Judaism (63%)
14. Bahá'í Faith (63%)
15. New Age (58%)
16. Secular Humanism (55%)
17. Islam (50%)
18. Theravada Buddhism (50%)
19. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (48%)
20. Mahayana Buddhism (47%)
21. Jainism (44%)
22. Jehovah's Witness (38%)
23. New Thought (38%)
24. Scientology (36%)
25. Taoism (36%)
26. Nontheist (32%)
27. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (27%)

And, even though according to that quiz I am only about 58% aligned with New Age stuff, I also took another quiz that I found while I was bopping around on the blogs. It gave me my results in html code, so this is the first time I have tried to put something like that into a post. I am very curious to see if it will work.


You are The Star


Hope, expectation, Bright promises.


The Star is one of the great cards of faith, dreams realised


The Star is a card that looks to the future. It does not predict any immediate or powerful change, but it does predict hope and healing. This card suggests clarity of vision, spiritual insight. And, most importantly, that unexpected help will be coming, with water to quench your thirst, with a guiding light to the future. They might say you're a dreamer, but you're not the only one.


What Tarot Card are You?
Take the Test to Find Out.



It worked! Yay! It is so funny that this brings me such joy!

No comments: