Monday, January 15, 2007

a giant leap

This is Moxy. She's here to share some good news.

Today I had my TTC-consultation with the Peri, Dr. B, and it went very well. I feel like Dr. B is going to be a good fit. She is easy to be with. She has this energy about her that is very calm and matter-of-fact. I can tell that she has the "tell it like it is" thing in common with Dr. D and I really like that. But she seems a little more down-to-earth than Dr. D to me. She covered everything and, just as I had hoped, I didn't have to ask any of my questions outright because she got to them already. Of course I consulted them before we said goodbye, just in case!

She is certain that I have a "classic IC" and believes that with a cerclage placed early in the second trimester (she said 15 to 16 weeks) she feels that I have a 90% chance of carrying to term. In addition to that she said that since my cervix remained long, even when I was dilated and the membranes were funneling, that this is very positive because it (in addition to pointing to IC rather than some other cause of early labor) means that the stitch can go in nice and strong and the likelihood of bedrest is pretty low. Wow, I wasn't expecting that. Now of course I will still modify my activity! There is no way I will continue to be up and as active as usual, working long days, hauling up and down the stairs a bazillioin times a day at home and at work, and I won't be doing any heavy lifting. But to still be able to take a walk, sit upright, etc. is such a big thing! And, as Mr. C put it when we were on the phone after I got home from the appointment, it means that I don't have to worry so much about timing things "just right" in regard to the school year. Of course I still want to time it the way I've planned, but if this isn't possible then things are still going to be just fine.

So that is all very big news!

When I do get my BFP I will set up an appointment with Dr. B for at about 8 weeks and we will go from there. I won't see Dr. D any more. It was an option, but it would have meant a lot of coordinating of schedules and going to appointments at two different offices. The Maternal Fetal Medicine practice is very easy to get to. Dr. D's office is near it, but a bit of a walk from the parking garage. So for the sake of efficiency/simplicity I will only see Dr. B and she will deliver the (God willing) baby as well. I think that there is another good reason to only see her. I will have a different office to go to for all of my appointments. I think psychologically that that is a good thing.

She also said that we can begin TTC whenever we want. She was very happy to hear about how healthy my diet is. She said that it is good that I have been taking a multi with 400 mcg of Folic acid along with my diet which is high in Folic acid. She said that she would advise 800 mcg to someone who doesn't have such a healthy diet but that I should be covered. So of course when I was on my way home I stopped at the Supplement store and got a new prenatal vitamin that has 800 mcg! The way I look at it, at least I can be SURE I am getting enough! Regardless of how many fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts, or fortified foods I eat I never think it is healthy enough!

Wow. Very big news today.

No comments: