Wednesday, March 28, 2007

a hell of a Wednesday evening!

I'm drunk. (OK, seriously buzzed...working on being drunk)

No, it really is true.

Let me just say, I almost NEVER drink. And when I say that, I mean it. Not like those people who say they never watch television. I really only drink, even a glass of wine with dinner, like three or four times a year--and since I was pregnant for half the year last year, maybe I drank something twice, if that.

So here is what happened...

I love wine. Yes, a non-drinker who loves wine. Let me back up a bit (and yes, I am doing a bit of corrections as I go, so forgive any spelling or mechanics errors, please). The reason I don't drink has nothing to do with any past problems with drinking, and I do not have any family members with drinking problems, or any other reasons having to do with religion or *lifestyle* choices. I guess it is mostly because I am small and have a sensitive system and fast metabolism and, as is happening now, a couple of glasses of wine does me in. Also there is the running thing--when I am training I do not drink because running after drinking is like having legs made of cement. Seriously.

Back to what happened...

Last weekend I bought myself a bottle of wine. The weekend prior I really wanted a glass of wine with dinner and didn't have the energy to go to the store to buy some. So it stuck in my mind all week (because for some reason it didn't enter my mind that it was OK to buy a bottle of wine during the week...) and finally when the weekend came again I went out and chose a nice bottle of Italian Cabernte Merlot-Sangiovese (yes, this is a real variety--I thought that it was wierd, but it came highly recommended). And I only drank one glass, which I enjoyed with my dinner.

And the bottle sat, until today. I can't remember now what reminded me "I have a bottle of wine..." but I remembered. And, forgive me if there are any wine snobs out there but, yes, it has been sitting with a stopper in it for a few days. Can I just say that it still tastes delicious? On an *empty* before-dinner-stomache, two glasses of wine (yes, I am still drinking it as I write) gets this little thing buzzed.

My husband will be home from work soon. What will he think? Will I be able to go unnoticed?
_________________________________________________________

Is this post the equivalent of drunk dialing? Or is it more like embarrassing yourself at a party?

Hmmm...

Well, Mr. C is due to be home from work soon and the sun is still out in the sky (such beautiful Spring weather we are having lately, which I am enjoying despite my allergies) so I will come back later.

To those of you who check in on me...you know if I know about you (because I believe you see me visiting your blogs, too, and I am commenting fairly regularly). But I would appreciate if those of you who are lurking would introduce yourselves. I cannot begin to express how much it means to me to be part of this "community" that I have stumbled into, and knowing "who is out there" really is important to me. Yes, it has been over a year...but what is time, really?

I am tempted to say more, but fear getting into a pathetic-zone, so I will stop now, for now.

10 comments:

anonymous jones said...

Here I am, lurking like a little cyber cockroach! I don't drink either - one reason being I can't stand the foul taste of it! My vice is chocolate.

BasilBean said...

Hah!

At first I thought you were an anonymous commenter and I was going to call you out on it!

I'm so glad to see that you are "real," anonymous-jones, and can't wait to be *sober* so I can read your blog more coherantly.

I may just add you to my list of Aussies I'd love to meet someday.

BTW, I love--and I wish that word wasn't so over-used, becuse there is no way to over-state how much I really do LOVE--C H O C O L A T E!

I am an absolute chocolate FIEND. Dark chocolate, to be exact.

Maybe that is why I am able to quell my taste for delicious red wine? I find most all other alcoholic drinks foul, so it really is not hard to resist them.

Jillian said...

Dear Drunk Dialler,

If your hubster is anything like mine he will be amused and start reminiscing about the days of old. Before you were a stressed out (aka sad) old-half-of-a-grown-up-couple lady. A little buzzing is good for the spirit lol:)

Anyway, red wine and dark chocolate are practically health foods so it sounds like you are doing ok on the vice front!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I wish I had a buzz too. But it's nearing midnight and I'm in bed. Hope you had fun with your husband! hehe.

Sara said...

I'm here still. Hope you're feeling good this morning!

Lori said...

Count me as a lurker as well as another petite gal who loves wine but rarely drinks. Like you, no reason, just not much of a drinker.

A year isn't that long... continue to be gentle with yourself.

Lori

niobe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
niobe said...

*edited to fix typos. and I'm not drunk. really*

I almost never drank until I lost the babies. Since then, I've had a glass of wine maybe a couple of times a week. Which for me is, well, a lot.

And, moving right along to an entirely different topic, I really never watch tv. (after all, what is you tube for?) In fact, I'm not exactly sure how to turn it on.

I'm not saying this to brag. In fact, one of my perpetual resolutions for self-improvement is that I should watch more tv, so I can understand people's references. Right now, I just smie and nod. But I don't think it really fools anyone.

Honestly, I've never understood how people have all this extra time to watch tv. I'm either working, sleeping, or cruising the internet. So I guess I'm doomed to remain a cultural idiot.

Maybe it would help if I stayed up past 9:30..

laura said...

I confess freely to being a drinker, although I've become a lightweight since my perinatal abstinence. I had a glass of sangria with dinner last night and got all googly-eyed. It was a big honking glass, but still. It's harder for me to admit to being a TV-watcher, and honestly for a long time I wasn't, but I have gotten sucked into the Idol juggernaut, and it all multiplies from there.

Becky said...

Ok...I'll admit...last week I enjoyed a few GIANT margaritas! I'm not a drinker either, really! But as someone else pointed out, I drink more now that I've lost the babies!

Hopefully your husband isn't like mine in that he will remind you of the time that you both were so drunk that he sucked your toes...and...hmm...that's about when things get fuzzy! Haha!

Thanks for letting me reminesce!

And yes, I do watch tv. Although not as much as I used to! I am however, NOT a drinker...not even socially. I am more of a caffeine person...equally as addictive! Perhaps that's how I find the time to watch so much television....?