Monday, May 21, 2007

rain, rain, rain





It has been raining for the past three days. Torrents. Buckets. Everything is gray. It stopped for a moment, long enough for me to snap some photos, and now it is raining again.

I love the rain. Some of my earliest memories include rain. Sitting in my classrooms as a little girl I would stare out at the rain and daydream. Sometimes it would rain so hard that I couldn't even see anything outside--just the water pouring down the glass. And I love the sounds of the rain as well. I grew up just miles away from the Rain Forest in a town where they joke that it rains 360 days of the year. Even if it is an exaggeration, it still isn't that far from the truth.

Just days ago, though, we had a taste of what summer will eventually bring. It is not uncommon to have a few days of "unseasonalbly warm" weather here in the spring. It comes on fast and catches pretty much everyone by surprise. And just as quickly as it comes on, so does the illusion that it is here to stay. People seem to have amnesia about the fact that this occurs almost every year and they dig out their summer clothes and make plans for BBQs and picnics. Then, sure enough, the rain comes on and everyone laments as though we will NEVER see the sun again.

5 comments:

Rosepetal said...

I love the rain too. I find it soft and magical.

niobe said...

Beautiful photos. I lived for a year in a city where it's supposed to rain all the time. The day I arrived, it was clear, warm and sunny. The locals told me to enjoy it, because I wouldn't be seeing any more weather like that for another eight months. They were absolutely right.

Sara said...

Beautiful photos. And it sounds like you live in the same state as I do. Although we're in the midst of unseasonably warm rather than rain.

Brenda said...

I LOVE the rain but I also LOVE the cold. 10 deg and rain and I would almost be a happy women!

The photos you took are just beautiful.

Hugs
xxx

Lori said...

Because of some things you mentioned in a different post, I am starting to think we might live in the same corner of the world. When I finish my "10 things about me" post you will probably be able to figure out if we do.

Has it been hot this week where you live? Break any records this week?

(Smile)