Wednesday, May 16, 2007

curiosity

There is something I have been wondering about for a while now, so I am going to go ahead and come out and ask about it. I am wondering how *you* found *me.*

I will start by telling *you* how I found *you*...

Of course there will be some ample back-story, as I am so fond of the back story...

I am an obsessive researcher. When Mr. C told me in September of 2005 that he wanted to start our family, and I let him talk me into it, I immediately headed to the book store and got online. As it all turned out we got pregnant the first month of trying. So either all of that research paid off, or we really didn't need it, it's hard to know for sure. At any rate, that is how I found one of those online places where you can set up a pregnancy calendar and get weekly updates on how the zygote-embryo-fetus-baby is growing and all that. And they also have message boards. I didn't visit my "expecting club" much because I didn't relate to most of what was being talked about, but I checked in on it every now and then to compare my pregnancy experience with others. I threw my 2 cents in every now and then. Like the time this woman was going to opt out of her 20 week ultrasound because she thought she could just save herself some money (she didn't have insurance) by going to the mall and getting one of those 3D ultrasounds so she could "find out if it was a girl or a boy." I very politely explained to her why a level II ultrasound was for a lot more than identifying gender and she seemed very grateful for the information. After we lost William I had the sad task of unsubscribing from all of the online updates. I don't really remember when I stumbled across the message boards that are devoted to Stillbirth/infant loss, but my obsessive researching was a big part of my early grief process as well.

Fast forward several months and I decided to start a blog. The blog was in a round-about way an off-shoot of my time on various message boards, as some mothers include links to their blogs in their signatures. I visited preemie blogs every now and then. As we started to get closer to our agreed-upon time to TTC again I thought that a blog might be a good thing to help me through the process of getting ready to try, trying, a stressful high-risk pregnancy, and beyond.

Move forward another month or so into my blogging when I found *you.* I was reading the preemie message board and there was a woman who I had been checking in on. She was pregnant with twins and had a hole in one of the amniotic sacks that developed fairly early in the second trimester. The hole was apparently in a spot where the two sacks were touching, which made for a slow leak. The doctors told her she would lose both babies if nothing was done. Long story (relatively) short--she couldn't give up on this baby to "spare" the other (there was no guarantee that this wouldn't result in the loss of both babies) and continued to carry both babies until early in the third trimester. She ended up on hospital bedrest and constant monitoring with both babies continuing to grow--but the one baby was much smaller. When she finally did give birth the smaller twin only lived for a few hours, while the other twin was in NICU for a while but was healthy. In her grief this mother turned to the preemie message board and it is there that one of the compassionate women attached a link to msfitzita's blog.

So after I read her blog I started clicking on her links. I would stay up extremely late reading into the archives of blogs, crying and laughing...I was hooked. I had no idea how all of this blog stuff worked. I wondered how people found each other. Now I pretty much understand in a general way how it all works. But I am wondering how each of you found your way to your own blog and to this network of bloggers and yes, specifically how you found me.

This is a good opportunity for lurkers to come out, too, I suppose.

5 comments:

Jillian said...

*You* found *me* lol! But yeah, I still spend time bouncing off links lists. I find I don't need support anymore really, but I still care what happens to my friends who did so much to get me through some tough times. I also care that those new to loss don't fall through the cracks.

As much as Opr@h bothers me, I heard that saying 'pay it forward' on her show and I like to think I can do that now I've come out the other side of the acute phase.

Catherine said...

I started my blog when I was pregnant with Alex...as a way to keep friends and family updated. When things went so horribly wrong, I just kept writing (nobody has been able to shut me up since).

I found David (I Hate This) because I too had to research and we shared a connection in that both of our lost babies were stillborn in the same room of the same hospital. He introduced me to a couple of his friends and they introduced me to a couple of their friends and it just kept getting bigger and bigger.

I can't remember how I found your blog, quite honestly. I'm nosey though, so if you commented somewhere I probably clicked on your profile link and found you that way. :o)

Sara said...

Well, I did a google search for cer.clage and the "my cer.clage" blog came up. You'd just commented on it, so I followed your name. Yours and that blog were the first I'd looked at. I was so touched by your birthday tribute to William, and I decided to start my own blog. So I really found everyone through you.

niobe said...

I honestly have absolutely no idea how I found *you* or, for that matter, how I found any of *you*

I used to read IF, pregnancy, and mommy blogs for fun, though I never commented on any of them. I'm not sure if I even read the comments.

Then, after the twins died, I decided to start my own blog, but I wasn't really expecting anyone else to read it. I wasn't so much looking for support as for a way to express myself.

Brenda said...

I found *You* because I am also nosey and I would have been clicking on all sorts of 'baby loss', 'm/c' and 'IF' blogs and if you had posted a comment I would have found you that way.

Hugs
xxx