Tuesday, July 31, 2007

never a dull moment



Well I am back from Chicago. It turned out to be a much more interesting and enjoyable trip than I had expected it to be. The training was useful and provided some practical information in addition to some inspiration to me personally as an artist. I have finished very little work in the last few years. Here is the last painting that I actually finished. You can see by how short my hair was that it was a LONG time ago...about three years ago actually. Yikes.

Before I left for Chicago we celebrated my birthday. It ended up being a wonderful day, from start to finish. In the morning I got up and met Erin at Greenlake for our last walk together before her departure to Brazil. The night before we went out for a going-away-get-together and when I told her about my plans to go to a shooting range she said she thought it sounded like fun. So she, Mr. C, and I all went to a shooting range and shot pistols! The first gun was a 9mm and the second one was a 38 Special. Wow! I said that I wanted to do something to take me out of my comfort zone, and I sure did! When we got there I realized how truly out of my element I was. But it was so exciting. I was worried that since I am so small that the gun would have too much force for me to handle, but I think I did very well. Erin did take a picture of me and Mr. C, so if she sends it to me I will post it. For now, here are the targets that we shot.




Of course we did go get cheesecake. Mr. C insisted that I get three slices! I didn't have a chance to eat very much, though, since my flight was early the next morning and I didn't take any for the plane. For our evening entertainment Mr. C and I went to a burlesque show at a place in Post Alley called the Pink Door. We had a great time and I even got tipsy (he kept buying me White Russians).

While I was in Chicago Mr. C was woken up from an after-work nap to find out that a man driving down our street blacked-out and drove into our cars. He first side-swiped our neighbor's car, then drove right into the back of Mr. C's car, which smashed into my car, then he side-swiped my car. My car is still able to be driven (although not at night as the tail lights no longer work) but Mr. C's car is in really bad shape. We don't know exactly how things will shake down yet, but are working with the insurance people to get it all sorted out. Yikes again.

6 comments:

Julia said...

Your birthday sounds fun.
I am sorry about your cars-- that looks pretty terrible. Hope your insurance doesn't try to screw you on this.

The painting is beautiful and interesting. I like the colors and the angle. You are very very talented. I would love to see some more of your pieces.

niobe said...

I so sympathize with the car issues. And dealing with insurance companies is always tricky because it's hard to tell if they're trying to help you out or, well, just the opposite.

What an amazing painting. I'm with Julia, I'd love to see more of your work.

Oh, and your shooting range targets reminded me of one of my former coworkers, who had one of those targets, full of bullet holes, posted on her door. It had an, uh, interesting effect on visitors.

Mrs Macgyver said...

Wow, a shooting range? I think I'm too much of a sook to do something like that! Sounds exciting though.

Love the painting! I would love to see more of your work! Of course I have something very special that your talented self made and sent! I love showing the scrapbook off to people.... of course it'll make more sense when it's got photos in it LOL.

What a strange way for your cars to get damaged. Luckily nobody was hurt. Hope your insurance company is nice and efficient sorting it out.

Mrs. Collins said...

The car thing stinks! For both cars to be damaged is just incredibly bad luck.. but you didn't need to hear that. I love that painting. So much emotion in it. About the target practice... don't really know what to say but I definitely won't be breaking into your place (not that I have a clue where you live, so don't come after me!) Glad to hear you had a good birthday.

Lori said...

Umm... wow on the painting! That is amazing. I am so utterly hopeless when it comes to things like drawing and painting, that I find your talent astounding!!

Your birthday sounds exciting! My husband would love it if I thought going to a shooting range sounded like a good birthday outing. He's not a violent man (as I know none of you are), but he thinks that is fun too. Strange.

AND, guess what? My hubby and I had our first date at the Pink Door of all places! We were doubling with my cousin and her husband and she and I had way too many Pink Ladies (I think they were called). We also saw two of the guys from Northern Exposure, and that was back in its heyday. We thought it was very exciting, and I am sure we acted way too silly about the whole thing!

I'm glad Chicago proved to be interesting and useful.

Brenda said...

Great to hear you had a good bday. I would LOVE to go shooting. Was going to take S for his bday but didnt know where to find a shooting place. lol

Great to have you back. wonderful that you had a good time.

A shit about the car.

Hugs
xxx