Sunday, November 2, 2008

bad timing

My sister and I were dressed alike a lot when we were small. She is a little over two years older than I am, but we were pretty close in size so many people mistook us for twins. As we got older it seemed to me that our appearances became more and more distinct, yet through the years this has continued to happen on occasion.

We grew closer as we got older. Even though we lived several hours away from each other we found time for frequent visits. There was a time when we spent a considerable amount of time together. I called her my sister-best friend. But things changed shortly after she returned from New Zealand, where she did her graduate research, when along came the man she fell in love with there. It didn't take long before they were engaged, and the wedding was only a few months after that.

They will celebrate their third anniversary next month. I danced at her wedding with William in my belly, about the same size as this baby is now. I didn't see her again until after he was born. She tried so hard to be there for me. I believe that she wanted to say all of the right things. But she said all of the wrong things. I didn't hold it against her, or even let on that I felt that way. I knew that she was hurting for me and that what she said was really to make herself feel better. This happened with a few other people in my life as well, and I found that it made me fill up with compassion for them rather than anger or frustration.

I haven't seen my sister in a long time, not since she came shortly after William's funeral. I reached out to her last summer, before I moved, when it seemed as if my world was falling apart. We spoke on the phone several times and it really did help to have someone to talk to. But we never found the time to get together.

When we moved to the other side of the state last year she said she might need to come to the office her company has over here for a meeting at some point. Finally, after talking about it for months, she e-mailed several weeks ago to say that she would be coming in November for a couple of days. Her husband isn't working, so he will come along, too. And she asked if it would be OK to bring their boxer, who they take with them everywhere. I said sure, since it was only for a couple of days, and I was so happy to plan a visit with her after all this time.

Then came another e-mail, saying that the stay had been extended for a whole week, and asking if they should get a hotel. Yes, I replied, a hotel would be a good idea, easier for everybody. Then came her response, that she had spoken too soon and that she didn't think her company would provide a hotel, wondering if they could stay after all. So I said yes. A little voice in my head that I pushed aside whispered that this might not be a good idea. I didn't mention it to Mr. C, who was reluctant for the two day visit since it included the dog. My brother has been living with us for the past two months, so now the house would be very full and Mr. C has already been feeling the strain of not having his house to himself.

And it didn't occur to me that the timing was particularly bad considering that their visit was scheduled for the week after my surgery. I continued to neglect telling Mr. C about the extended visit. Partly this was due to avoidance, but I am also blaming it on pregnancy brain. On Wednesday my brother mentioned it to him, though, so that took care of that. He spoke with me about it on Wednesday evening and as we talked it became very clear to me that having three extra adults and a 60 pound high-maintenance dog here for a week when I am recovering from cerclage surgery was not a good idea. Mr. C is certain that I would try to do too much, and after reflecting on it I have to say that I believe he is right.

I know my sister very well. She takes everything personally and I knew that she would most likely not get the main point--that we were making this decision because it is what is best for me and the baby. I tried my best to explain it to her, but I could tell that she was upset. Apparently because this particular meeting is for a government project, they really won't pay for a hotel. They do offer company housing, but that means that the husband and the dog cannot come along. She said she has a colleague that they can stay with. She said that she will give me a call when she gets into town. She just didn't hear me. I told her over and over that this really disappointed me, that I wished the timing was different, that I am so excited to see her. But I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was just not getting it. She didn't even ask me about the surgery (other than to ask if it was including a hospital stay), or how I was feeling about it.

Yesterday my brother talked with my mom on the phone and, sure enough, she asked about what was going on. She has only heard my sister's version, and it doesn't paint me in a very good light. I was right, she is really upset. She even told my mom that she doesn't even know if she will see us when she is here! We have always had a good relationship. How do I respond to this?

4 comments:

Sara said...

She is so, so, so in the wrong here. Seriously. Your mom needs to tell her that. I don't know any of them, of course. But I'm just imagining a possible response from your mom about not wanting to get in the middle of this - there's no "middle." Your sister is flat out wrong. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I am kind of mad! How insensitive. I'm really, really sorry it has to be this hard. I'm thinking of you, and I hope you can work it out with her.

Monica H said...

I can relate because my family is the same way. Everyone (including me) is so overly sensitive and take things the wrong way.

You just need to call her and explain to her (AGAIN!) why this is not good for you. She probably gets offensive and thinks it's all about her (again like me).

If after that she still doesn't understand then it's not your problem. You don't need to be worrying about this.

I hope you can get it all figured out.

niobe said...

I have absolutely no advice, given how badly I always manage to mess things up with my own family. But I'm hoping your sister will understand.

Anonymous said...

my sister is similar tou yours. when something "unpleasant" for them is said or done they only hear negative and make it all about them. (we too were close in age and size and mistaken for twins a lot) I decided at some point in the last 2 years I have to do what is best for me and my family and if other people can't handle it and make it a selfish thing that is on them. I can no longer over extend and feel guilty about hurting myself or neglacting my family to please others, even if this includes other family. It sounds mean and selfish but all my life I've tried to please and lost so much of myself only to be hurt or blamed for things anyway.

there are 3 things that need to be put first you, bean & your husband. I have no advice as to how to "talk" to her because I have tried similar and it seems to make it worse or become "forced and fake" which is the last thing you want. She doesn't have children, I'm assuming hasn't lost a child and will one day realize she was an ass. I'm waiting for that too. My sister gets married next week. I pray she has a great experience with her children and yet still understands that your whole world and reason for being shifts in the moment you see those lines...in effect forcing her to grow up and think of someone other than herself. You can't force anyone to see that, they either will or won't. good luck lady.