Sunday, June 10, 2007

surprise, surprise, surprise


I keep a word document open on my desktop and every once in a while I will copy and paste something that I find while flitting about on the internet.

I also use it to type in words that I am afraid I will spell wrong. I have spelling anxiety. In grade eight I had a traumatic experience when we received our standardized test scores. I scored in the 90-something-th percentile in every subject but one. My score in spelling was somewhere in the 30th percentile range. I'm sure that if my spelling were tested today that I would score much higher. In fact, when I type words into the document I keep open I have it right almost all of the time. But spell-checker is my friend, it helps me feel reassured. As you can see, there are a few words that I have a mental block with.

It occurred to me that when the words are all placed together they make a sort of surrealist poetry. Perhaps at some point I may play around with them and try to develop them further. For now I will share with you what is currently collected:

impetus flippant macabre tendency
embarrassed progesterone jinxed grief idiocy
surprise explanation surprise
cardiovascular caffeine
impromptu Memorabilia frivolous substantive peek peak turmoil
reeling grieving incompetent congruent entire
reluctant signature chartreuse arc ark
surprise
hallucinations scary anesthetic
Excavating definitely sunk tumultuous
Inescapable
nebulous penguins plumbing grief
heroine indeed freeze arcade

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Im with you on the spelling!
Im a shocking speller and 'spell check' is also my very good friend.

Hugs
xxx

niobe said...

nebulous penguins plumbing grief
heroine indeed freeze arcade


These lines are like poetry -- mysterious and evocative.

I look up words all the time too, even if I'm pretty sure I'm spelling them right. I find doubled letters especially difficult.

Sara said...

I think you have to include the "Inescapable" in the word string Niobe selected.

We have many of the same problem words.

niobe said...

Sara's right. Definitely add "inescapable' to the beginning.

Julia said...

Hi, my name is Julia, and I am a bad speller.
Oh, wait... this isn't Bad Spellers Anonymous? Ooops.. My bad.
But seriously? One of my best friends from college used to tease me about the spelling for four years straight. My husband still does it.

I am with Niobe and Sara on the poetry too.