Monday, June 25, 2007

annoying

I realize that I tend to get way too focused on things*, so I am asking for forgiveness in advance.

It's about the rating system again. Last night Mr. C and I went to see the new John Cusack film "1408," which is rated PG 13. In the film Sam L. Jackson gets the honor of having the one line with the F-word in it. Apparently a film can maintain the PG 13 rating if they only use the F-word once.

*I'm not sure if this is proof of where I really fall on Niobe's boring vs. annoying theory. After a brief conversation earlier with Mr. C about dwarfs/little people, he seems to think that because I take some things so far (too many trivial facts and details) that I start out being uninteresting, then move into boring territory, and finally become annoying. Yikes. He said it with love, though:)

6 comments:

Lori said...

Well this is exactly why we don't let our boys see almost any PG-13 movies (even our son who is knocking on the door of 13). Our standards of what is "okay" for kids to see is becoming increasingly low. But that is a whole post in and of itself for me...

And I doubt you ever reach annoying... :)

niobe said...

I think being focused on details probably shows that you're perceptive and thoughtful.

Brenda said...

I think its terrible that a PG13 movie has the F word in it.

Hugs
xxx

BasilBean said...

Lori,
Mr. C and I both agree that we wouldn't want a 13 year old to see most movies with the PG 13 rating. Even with "guidance" most of these movies have way too much sex and violence. You are right, this topic does deserve its own post.

And thanks for the kind words--Niobe as well:)

After I posted this last night Mr. C asked me what I wrote. I told him and he said that I misunderstood him. He apparently was referring to the stages a conversation sometimes goes through when someone keeps going on and on about a topic that you are not interested in--he said that it was by no means an assessment of my personality.

Sara said...

Oh my gosh, 1408 is PG-13? That movie looks terrifying, the moderate use of the "F word" notwithstanding.

I'm glad Mr. C clarified, I was thinking, oh, that was sweet of him.

BasilBean said...

1408 was very scary. I jumped and screamed several times (I am a "director's dream"--I really allow myself to get into a movie). The blood & gore aspect of the film (which, compared to many films, is minimal) is handled in an interesting way, though, primarily through the use of photographs from the room's history. I think this is one of the ways that the film maintains its rating.