Sunday, June 10, 2007

I (inadvertently) did a bad, bad thing

The other day I bought some decaffeinated coffee beans. Coffee is such a big part of my life lately. I will spare you the saga of my pathetic latte addiction but I really could go on and on about it. On the weekends I brew coffee, though. Despite my latte habit I still have to be very careful when drinking actual coffee. It is more powerful than espresso in part, I am sure, to the lack of the milk to dilute it.

I drink it in cute little coffee cups. I have a collection of these cute little cups--a couple of which are pictured a few posts back. Both of the examples posted were gifts.

But I will stop myself from digressing too far from the intended point of this post. Despite my self-awareness of my sensitivity and my strategy of drinking out of small (cute) cups, I almost always end up drinking too much coffee and end up being a jittery, anxious mess. This is not good, especially considering my tendency toward being anxious anyway. And lately I have needed all of the help I can get to remain calm and feeling relatively stable.

So I bought some decaf coffee beans. My idea was that I would brew a pot of regular coffee first thing in the morning, then switch to decaf or a mix of regular and decaf. That way I could continue my liquid diet into the day and not become a freakin' tweaker.

This worked great last weekend when I piloted my new plan.

Yesterday, though, I left in the morning and didn't make coffee because Mr. C was still in bed. (I went into work for the day...this is another topic for another time).

This morning when we got up I went into the kitchen for our ritual and noticed that the decaf coffee beans were on the counter. I asked Mr. C if he had used those beans for his coffee yesterday and his answer was yes (duh, why use the "old" item when there is a "new" one available?). Oops...

So I told him what had happened and I am glad that I did because it sure did clear up for him why he was so tired yesterday and had such a raging headache. The poor guy. He is already having a bit of a time adjusting to his new medication, which does have potential side-effects of sleepiness and headache. It actually made him feel better to know that it was the coffee that was to blame.

5 comments:

Lori said...

Oh come now.... that doesn't sound like a bad, bad thing. Maybe just one bad? Innocent mix-up, right? Poor Mr. C though....

My hubby used to be a big time coffee drinker too. Had to have his coffee or he had the headaches and sluggishness. And now, he has completely converted to tea!! He never ceases to amaze me. Just when I think I have him figured out...

Sara said...

I wouldn't have understood the problem at all until I met my husband. Poor Mr. C.

niobe said...

Heh. I have a latte habit too. But I don't fight it, I just give in to it and have lattes every day.

Brenda said...

Just reading this post has made me need to go get myself a cup of coffee.
YUM!

Hugs
xxx

ps. have no idea how Mr C couldn't tell the difference. I don't care what people say, I can tell.

Julia said...

Hey, who's your dealer? Seriously, I have a bad latte habit myself. But I do order half cafs or decafs as needed.

Poor Mr.C, though...