Wednesday, June 27, 2007

no more teachers' dirty looks

Mr. C came home from work singing that song to me yesterday.

Technically, school was out last Friday. But I had to teach a professional development class to secondary teachers in my district yesterday. And there was only one teacher who gave me a dirty look, so that's not too bad. Teachers tend to be either your best or your worst students. This woman was just bent out of shape because she didn't/doesn't want to do the work that she needs to do. The class was on how to create course syllabi that meet the new district standards that will go into effect in the fall. I was on the committee that figured out what these should be, so when you add that to my experience facilitating professional development, apparently it is a forgone conclusion that I should teach the class. I was grumbling about "having" to do it, but it really wasn't that bad. And the woman who tried to give me a hard time ended up apologizing profusely by the end of the class and thanking me for giving her so many resources.

So anyway, now I am essentially done. I am driving in to work to tie up some loose ends and hopefully by the time I leave there today I will feel like I can walk out of my classroom and the school and not return until August. There is a slight chance that I will feel like I need to go back in tomorrow, but I SWEAR that I am taking ALL of July off. No work!

7 comments:

missing_one said...

Ah the life of a teacher. I keep telling myself I need to start lesson planning for fall and keep putting if off a day.

BasilBean said...

Last summer I didn't really have a break because I ended up planning my small school's professional development retreat (both coordinating all of the logistics as well as the pd) and I also wrote curriculum for our advisory program (all of this on top of planning for my own classes). This summer I am not even letting myself go near work for the three "free" weeks I have in July so that I can feel like I've rested.

I hope you are able to find plenty of time for just *you* while you are on break.

Mrs. Collins said...

I'm a teacher too (history) and you are right, we are the worst students ever! I've busted up so many inservices I can't even count. Actully, I try to behave when it is a fellow teacher, but when it is some blowhard from the district just trying to justify his/her six figure salary, I let them have it. I'm teaching summer school because I used up 3 weeks of my leave with Jimmy (my baby who died), and I pregnant again and now I only have four weeks of paid leave left. So I decided to teach summer school to cover the difference. I'ts been great. I tend to like the "rougher" students better anyway. Yes, take all of July off!!! Do not go back to your classroom. Don't even go back to the campus. August will come soon enough. THis is your recharge time.

niobe said...

Taking all of July off is a great idea. Do you have specific plans or are you just going to relax and recover?

Mrs Macgyver said...

Repeat after me:

"I will not think about work for the next three weeks"

"I will relax and look after ME"

Hope you have a fantastic break mate, and get lots of me-time!

BasilBean said...

Niobe,
I don't have any specific plans other than relaxing, running, making art, and hanging out with my cats. The last week in July I will be in Chicago for an institute. Yes that is work-related, but it is for AP Studio Art and I will be going to museums and gallerys while I am there.

Mrs M,
I promise I will not think about work for the next three weeks.

I will relax and look after ME.

Rosepetal said...

Good for you for at least all of July off.