Sunday, April 29, 2007

works in progress

I've continued to work on four of the paintings (the Bacon triptich still waits for my attention).

The bird/tree paintings are finding their way, but I'm not sure where they will end up. It is quite possible that they will take different directions. One is a singleton, the other is a diptich. I'm thinking the diptich is going to go through some significant changes. Right now they are both in acrylic, over layers of writing. The singleton painting is inspired by the ee cummings poem "may my heart always be open to little birds." The diptich is inspired by one of Mr. C's songs titled "Burden Tree." He has a tendency to play with language--so the refrain of burden tree could be interpreted/heard as "bird in tree," especially since the song is *about* a bird in a tree.

Both the poem and the song are (to me) about hope. Yes, a simplistic interpretation, they are about much more than that. But hope is at the essence.

Things are finding their way on other fronts as well. I read something a while back that keeps bubbling up in my mind. It is in regard to the concept of detachment:

Uncertainty is an essential ingredient of experience. In the willingness to accept uncertainty, solutions will spontaneously emerge out of the problem, out of the confusion, disorder, and chaos. When things seem to be uncertain, the potential for security increases.





3 comments:

niobe said...

"Burden Tree" How perfect. Especially since "burden" also means "refrain." (but I'm sure you knew that already).

Sara said...

Even through digitization I can see how beautiful these are - thank you for sharing them and please keep continue! I wish I could hear the song that inspired it.

Anonymous said...

I know this is from many months ago but I have taken the last three days to read your blog from beginning "forward". Your art is wonderful (what did you use to put the "writing" under the one painting?) and your posts are not as mundane and boring as you have writtin, I find them real, humorous and witty. and so back to reading forward, see you in the present.