Wednesday, April 18, 2007

art therapy?


I've been painting.

As is usual for me, I am working on several paintings at once. For some reason I prefer this to focusing on one painting at a time until it is complete. It allows me to work for a while and then shift gears while layers dry or just to let me move onto something new when I need to.

As a result of this practice I have many works-in-progress and few finished pieces.

Since I started teaching pretty much all of the work I have done has been related to the work my students are doing. I do projects along with them to use as examples and to demonstrate techniques. But three of the paintings I am working on now are "just for me." I'm not sure exactly where they are going yet, but there is a lot of bird imagery inspiring them. Birds and trees.

The other four paintings are related to projects my students are doing. One painting is a "forgery with a twist"--a project my first year art students are working on. Mine is after Marc Chagall's "Paris at the Window" in which I have added landmark buildings from other major cities that hold fond memories/significance for me. I've also turned the cat into Cleo and added Jackson next to her. At the lower right corner of the painting Chagall has a figure with two faces, both male. The face on the left in my version is still a man, but his eye brows are much more like Mr. C's and the face on the right is now me. I'm liking it so far, it is fun to see it take shape. The other three paintings I'm working on are a triptich, which is inspired by/influenced by the work of Francis Bacon. My second year art students are researching periods in art history and creating works of art in the manner of the period. Bacon is one of Mr. C's favorite artists, so I'm doing this for him. I actually started it a few years ago and only got the underpainting done. I was never really satisfied with the color scheme I chose, so that is changing. I am uneasy about these paintings because Bacon's style is so macabre and I really wonder if I can pull it off.

I plan to post some pictures soon. (I tried to put Chagall's painting up at the top, but it didn't work...)

4 comments:

Jillian said...

Wow. Just wow. I love your work. What a way to get therapy!

Jillian said...

Ha! I just realised that the painting that didn't work *did* work! In any case, I cannot wait to see youe work if those are your influences:)

Sara said...

I really hope you will post the pictures. I love this Chagall painting, so I'm looking forward to your version.

BasilBean said...

For some reason yesterday the picture of the Chagall painting wasn't showing up for me.

I'm glad it is now because I struggle so much with computers and it feels like such a victory when I am able to figure something out.

I will post pictures of my work pretty soon.