Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

It is a rainy, gray Thanksgiving. We are having one of the wettest Novembers on record...about to break the record from 1933. I went for a run today and kept myself occupied by dodging puddles. I only missed once when I was looking at my watch at about 4 miles or so...I didn't want to stay out too long, since the marathon is Sunday. I don't mind running in the rain but for the marathon it sure would be nice if it is dry and NOT windy. But it will be what ever it will be.

It is just the two of us for Thanksgiving this year, but that didn't stop me from making a turkey. There will be lots of leftovers which is good because I can take them for lunch. Mom and Dad and the in-laws are coming for the marathon, so everyone stayed put for Thanksgiving.

Today feels like a Sunday...a lazy quiet day.

Last year Thanksgiving was busy. We went to my parent's house and there was a housefull because my sister's wedding was a week later. Her husband's brother and cousins were in town from England and Italy. It was great. Everyone was admiring my belly. Since I am normally so little, the belly was quite noticable to all of my family. The relatives of my BIL from out of town thought everyone was crazy--they had no frame of reference to compare it to.

I'm trying not to stress too much over the marathon. It is my third one, so I know that I have it in me to do it. Yet there are all of these doubts:
I've been really sick and am not quite back to full wellness, what if this has an effect on my endurance?
It was so hard to get enough week-day runs in since I was working such long hours--Did I train enough?
What if it is stormy--windy, cold, and rainy? How much will that slow us down?
Will I eat the right foods, be properly fueled, hydrated...etc.?
Am I getting enough sleep?
And there are more doubs...but those are the big ones. I read recently that it is totally normal for runners, especially those who don't have a coach, to doubt the choices that they have made in training and be nervous before the marathon. So, once again, I am *normal*...but that doesn't bring much solace.

Focus on happy positive things:
mashed potatoes and gravy
pumpkin pie

mmmmmmm

No comments: