Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Day Before the Marathon

Tomorrow at this time I will be milling about, getting prepared to run this marathon. It has actually stopped raining for almost two days now, which has me nervous. Does that mean that it is just doing to dump on us? Last night on the news they actually said that SNOW is expected this weekend! No, it can't happen.

We went to the Expo yesterday to pick up our numbers, chips, and "goodie bags." It was the biggest Expo that we had been to--but that does make sense as it is the biggest marathon that we have run. I was able to find a shirt to wear, which is a good thing since I hadn't found one yet. It really does pose a bit of a challenge to figure out what is the best thing to wear since we have absolutely no real idea what the weather will actually be like. All we can do is guess. Erin's uncle told her that he ran one of his best marathons in a snow storm. Please, please don't let it snow. Funny--I was so worried about the rain and wind (and I still am) but I REALLY don't want to run in snow.

And my sore throat, cough, runny nose are still around. It's all more pronounced when I first wake up, so I am trying not to dwell on it.

I need a mantra. Something more inspiring than the others that come up for me when I am running ("latte, latte, latte" "the faster I run, the sooner I'm done" "f**k, f**k, f**k"--the second two only surface when it is a really long run and I am getting to the point where things are really hurting...the first one, well, lately that has been my mantra pretty much all of the time).

Yesterday evening I started pulling out all of the Christmas decorations. I rearranged the furniture a bit to make room for the tree. The house is a mess right now, with open boxes everywhere and ornaments and decorations on almost every surface. I am supposed to take it easy today, so I think putzing around (as LInda would say) decorating the Christmas tree is just the type of activity to keep me occupied. That, and getting everything ready for tomorrow.

Ok, time for my um...seventh? helping of Thanksgiving leftovers. 'Tis the season:)

No comments: