Thursday, April 24, 2008

Will this surge ever end?

I've been using OPKs and so far I have had pretty regular cycles with a positive OPK on day 17 and all of the physical signs of ovulation following.

This month I was on the cruise on day 17 and, sure enough, got the positive. I didn't notice the normal signs to follow, though. But that didn't set off any alarms or anything, since my schedule and eating patterns were all out of whack due to being on vacation.

I had a couple unused OPKs, though, and four days after the positive I--just for the heck of it--tested again. It was positive. The next day I tested again and, yep, it was positive. When I got home I went out and bought another box of OPKs. I've tested now for 5 days in a row and, you guessed it, still positive (I've even done both FMU and evening tests). So now I am 9 days out from the first positive.

What the...?

Of course I have done some research and did read that your body can have a surge and then not ovulate, only to later surge again. This wouldn't be surprising since travel, stress, being sick, drinking a lot of alcohol, etc. can impede the egg from releasing. But what is up with a surge lasting (at least) 5 days? I know I don't have PCOS. I also read that an OPK will go positive if you are pregnant, but only after implantation.

I ran out of OPKs today and will not buy any more. It is expensive (albeit strangely satisfying) to pee on sticks.

8 comments:

Julia said...

Weeeellll... You would be past the point of implantation now, if you did ovulate then. I am going to duck now. And wait for the resolution of the mystery....

Actually, your doc, if you have one where you are now, can run a progesterone and LH blood test for you and solve the mystery. Or we can just wait out the suspense. :)

Monica H said...

ooh, they are so expensive, but so addicting!

Becky said...

Ok...so with ALL 3 of my pregnancies my OPK's just stayed positive. That's how I knew I was pregnant this time...

I'll be anxiously waiting to see how things turn out...!!

Anonymous said...

oh so addicting! and then upsetting. that was why I gave all up, no temping, checking, peeing nothing, and wham...when i was trying NOT to get prego cause of my meds. Murphy's Law?? I've heard of women ovulating occasionally from EACH ovary, it's rare but it does happen. so many things it could be.

niobe said...

I have no answers. Just lots of questions.

BasilBean said...

Thanks for all of the comments everyone, you are all such wonderful people.

Julia, I don't have a doctor here yet, so I can't just pop in for a blood test. Mothership is in France for another week, otherwise she could help me with it. But I don't "feel" pregnant...so it seems like it would be a waste of time and money.

Becky, thanks for telling me about your OPKs staying positive. The one slightly scary thing that I read (because, of course, I've been reading a lot) is that having the OPKs go positive for more than about three days in a row mid-cycle could be signal of a problem (it was indicating early menopause). Knowing that this happened to you is reassuring since, clearly, you are very fertile:)

Chrystina! I hadn't read your blog in a little while and didn't know you were pregnant! Wow! Such a surprise!

Niobe, it's so good to hear from you. Gosh I miss having an internet connection at home! Yes, now I am starting to be filled with questions as well. I guess time will tell.

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming you'd be around the date when AF would show up, so I'll cross my fingers that she doesn't. I hope all is well and it was either wonderful news and if not a fluke? Glad you are semi-back and can't wait for you to have a computer at home again as well!

because you've been tagged for a meme. :)

missing_one said...

hey do you use
http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/
buy some and pee all you want! LOL they have OPKs and HPTs Fast Shipping too!

hmm...I have my suspicions about this one...... ;) hopeful ones...