Monday, April 20, 2009

An update and pictures

I knew I'd be busy but...WOW!

We saw the Pediatrician after having Vincent home with us for four days and found out that his weight had dropped down to five pounds. I was so worried, and crushed that breastfeeding wasn't enough to give him what he needs. It was due to several factors: him being born five weeks early (not so good at the suck-swallow-breathe thing), the time in the nursery (bottle feeds and the IV in addition to my breastfeeding), and my supply taking a big dive due to the lack of breastfeeding during the time he was in the hospital and the ineffective breastfeeding he was doing while at home. So we were given 24 hours to put some weight on him, otherwise the doctor wanted to readmit him into the hospital. We went home and started a schedule of feeding high-calorie formula every two hours. It worked, and we have continued this schedule for the past week. We see the doctor again on Thursday for a follow-up.

I rented a hospital-grade pump and started taking R@gl@n to get my milk supply back up. I am determined to breast feed. Since I started the medication I have been dumping out the milk, which makes me sad. Before that I was adding it to the formula and still breastfeeding him for comfort (for both of us). I tried using fennugreek first, but it just didn't seem to be doing the trick. Fortunately the stronger stuff seems to be working, so I think I can go off of it before too long.

I do plan to write about the birth and Vincent's early days. I will try to steal some time soon. Mr. C created a website for the little guy. He gave me permission to share it here. It can be found at: www dot v!nc3nt chr!stoph3r mcbr!d3 dot com It is a work in progress, and some things need to be fixed, but it's not too bad and he has posted a TON of pictures (some I'd rather he wouldn't, but he likes them). Here are some pictures that can only be found here:










9 comments:

Inanna said...

What a beautiful boy!

Monica H said...

Glad you were able to break away for a moment- thanks for the pics :-)

I'm off to check out Vincent's site!

Mrs Macgyver said...

He is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing him.

Hennifer said...

Thank you for sharing him! He it soo adorable.
Best of luck with his continued weight gain and breastfeeding.
I hope you are all enjoying some family time and getting some sleep :-)

Anonymous said...

Vincent is adorable! Love the photos. You look great too! I can understand the hectic pace for sure. Sorry to hear it's been scary with the weight issues and hard to get BF going. Here's a tip, in case it helps: I found that eating lots of large-flake oatmeal boosts milk supply. Strange, huh? I noticed that my gobbling of hardy oatmeal cookies seemed to result in fuller breasts. Just my experience, not sure if it's a "proven" thing.

Janice

Anonymous said...

Busy is an understatement! WOW he's perfect and I love that head of hair!!! I am so happy and glad and overwhelmed with happiness for you guys!!!!!!!!

heathers243 said...

Aww Michelle he is gorgeous! How perfect. You look fantastic too, btw :)

heathers243 said...

PS: I'm guessing your comment about DH posting pictures you'd rather not show means you don't love the pictures of you...one of my biggest regrets is that I was always ducking out of pictures. I felt like I looked terrible, was tired, dirty, fat, whatever...and now I have all these WONDERFUL pictures of DH and Jason, and hardly any of me. I wish I would have let my picture be taken more often. Even now, I'm always the one taking pictures and I long for just a few good pictures of me with my baby!

Anonymous said...

Super, super news and beautiful photos.

Hugs
xxx