Wednesday, June 17, 2009

back on the happy pills

It has become more and more apparent with each passing day--first to my family and now to me--that I am in need of something more than a helping hand and a good night's sleep.

This really sucks. I hate feeling like I am weak and can't pull through on my own. But it is back to an antidepressant. It's been a year and a half since I went off of the cymbalta and I've done really well. I feel like my anxiety level during the pregnancy was pretty reasonable, especially considering it being a subsequent pregnancy after a loss and a high-risk one at that. The way I've been feeling lately, though, is not reasonable.

I have no appetite and have a hard time choking down food when I do eat. I have insomnia and my mind just won't quiet. Usually I am one of the most patient and low-key people you'll ever know, lately I am irritated and pissed off by the littlest annoyance. And I am weepy and crying a lot. My thoughts go rapidly into a catastrophic range. I often have this overwhelming feeling like I want to run away--yet I love my life, my family, Mr. C and little Vincent, my home, etc.--so I wish that I could split myself into two people, which makes no sense. Fleeting feelings and thoughts of this nature could be explained by sleep deprivation, but this is something more.

So it's back to the little green pills. I may have mentioned before that there are a couple of people in my family (not to mention close friends) who rely on medications to live a happy life. Somehow, though, while I see the benefit of medications for others and hold absolutely no negative judgement, when it comes to me using them I feel like a failure. Maybe it's because I got through my last episode of anxiety and depression through not only the use of antidepressants (6 months) but also through meditation, energy work, healthy eating/exercise/sleep, and a spiritual path. Through these methods I have felt good for well over a year--so why don't I feel good now? I think I also feel like a failure because so many (most) women have babies and don't fall apart like this. I did take to heart the kind words in the comments a couple of posts ago, and I get it, I really do. I also get that while all of the "complementary" methods I use to manage my tendency toward anxiety and depression are effective, that the way I am feeling now (as Mr. C has pointed out to me) is neurological and biochemical. He says that all of the talk therapy, meditation, fish oil, etc. in the world won't do the trick when your brain and body chemistry are out of balance. Maybe in a couple of weeks (when the drugs have kicked in) I'll feel better about things. But right now I am sad and angry that I am back here again, I really hoped that I never would be.

Vincent is doing well. Thank you Hennifer, the prune juice works like a charm. We are still experimenting with just how much is neither too much nor too little, but all in all he is much more regular and happy for it. I made a chart to keep track of his natural rhythms (sleeping and eating) so I can see if there are any patterns and also so I can make adaptations to my expectations and whatnot. He was 10 weeks old last Saturday but from everything I read he is more in line with a six week old, which pretty much holds with his adjusted age. Until he is at least three months adjusted, or he shows me otherwise that he is ready, I will continue to follow his lead when it comes to sleeping and eating and not push too hard to impose a schedule. That being said, I am doing what I can to reinforce what I feel works best (for both of us). He is no longer constantly fussing and needing to be held or walked around. Now when he fusses or cries I can figure out what he needs without too much confusion and he is back to being a happy baby again before too long. He is smiling, cooing and sometimes attaching vowels and consonants. My mom got him an activity gym and he kicks and hits it and gets really excited. He also loves to lay in his changing pad and have me kiss his face and tummy. We go for walks almost every day in the sling with his head out so he can see everything that is going on. He prefers this to the stroller because he loves to watch the world around him and listen to all of the sounds.

And here is the part of the post where I am tempted to try and wrap this all up with a neat little bow somehow. A look on the bright side, a silver lining, something positive among all of the muck. I don't have it in me. I'm pissed off that I have all of the things in life that I ever prayed for, yet I am miserable.

7 comments:

Inanna said...

I'm sorry. :(

Becky said...

I could have written your post a few months ago. I wanted nothing more than to run away from everything, but I also wanted nothing more than to be a mother and a wife. It's scary. I didn't go back on Zoloft, and I really should have. I'm proud of you for making that decision. Derick just kind of threw his arms up in the air and didn't know what to do. We almost got divorced.

I'm glad that things are starting to get better with Vincent. It's amazing how the initial relationship between mother and child is sort of ackward and strange and then so quickly it becomes this beautiful dance. One or the other always leads, and the other one follows fluidly as if you were born doing this. But you haven't, of course, it just feels like you've never spent a day without your child. That's where you're getting with Vincent, and there is something to be said about that. Some mother's give up, other's throw their hands in the air, some do run away. And regardless of how weak you think you might be, that shows strength and a amazing love for your son. Remember, you're stronger than you think you are. All you can ever ask of yourself is to do what you can when you can and nothing more.

(((Hugs)))

niobe said...

I think that feeling anxious/sad/irritable after having a baby is probably much more common than not. In my experience, the vast majority of women (maybe 75%) have those kind of emotions to some extent.

I think that it's also even more common with first-time mothers (as in the first time that they've had a take-home baby, even if they've had a baby before) or after a loss.

A lot of women feel pressured not to admit it and to pretend that everything's just fine, but if you know someone well enough for her to share how she really feels, she'll usually admit to suffering at least some depression. Now, of course, some women don't feel that way, but they're the exception, not the rule.

The good news is that for most people (though, of course, not everyone), usually around six weeks is when the depression is at its worst. That's when babies are generally at their most fussy and their schedules are at their most erratic. Since V is at about six weeks adjusted, you may very well (fingers crossed) see a marked change for the better in the next few weeks.

I know that when Cole was about six weeks old was the absolute hardest time for me. However, when, a few weeks later, he started to sleep through the night (though not every night) and to put himself on a more predictable schedule, it did wonders for my mood.

Bottom line: You're totally normal, not a failure at all and, with just a little luck, things are going start to get better very, very soon.

Monica H said...

You are not a failure in any sense of the word. I'm proud of you for recognizing that you are not at 100% and you need help. Hopefully when it's all said and done and the meds are in full effect you will realize what a favor you've done for yourself. You deserve to be happy and functioning, despite how you get there.

Hennifer said...

You are not a failure! You are doing so great. You are taking yours and Vincent's needs into consideration. You are reaching out, husband, blog, MIL, mother, etc...

You are trusting your instincts in regards to his food and how he feels when he's eating what. You are babywearing, you are trying to take care of yourself the best you can at the moment.

I hope you continue to feel better, even if with a pill.

I myself got a good laugh because I could have said this myself

"Usually I am one of the most patient and low-key people you'll ever know, lately I am irritated and pissed off by the littlest annoyance. And I am weepy and crying a lot. My thoughts go rapidly into a catastrophic range. I often have this overwhelming feeling like I want to run away--yet I love my life, my family"

And I'm on a pill :-) Obviously the wrong one.

I'm glad the juice is helping.

heathers243 said...

(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I love my happy pills and think the world should be on them. lol We would all be much nicer if everyone took them. :)

Glad all is going well.

Hug
xxx