Monday, October 13, 2008

about the littlest bean

Note: this post, and probably most of the posts for the next long while (God willing), is primarily about this pregnancy. I am pretty sure that this subject is tolerable by most of the readers of my blog. If not, then I just want to be clear about it so you know what to expect. I realize that some dead-baby momma bloggers have found sensitive ways to blog about a sub-pregnancy, but I just can't think of a way to write honestly if I am censoring myself. The original intention for the blog from the start was for it to be a place where I could record my experience of a sub-pregnancy. It has just taken me far longer to get here than I had anticipated. During these (almost) two years of writing I have come to realize that this blog is so much more than just a place to record my thoughts and feelings. I guess what I am trying to say is that I acknowledge that for some of you out there it is painful to read this particular type of good news.
...............................

I saw my OB today for one of those quickie visits and was treated to the beautiful sound of the little one's thumping heart. I had myself prepared for the very reasonable possibility that we might not be able to find it. As he moved the doppler around I breathed calmly and allowed myself to hope. Hearing it was so darn fantastic. You couldn't wipe that smile off of my face. I asked him if he could get a BPM for me and he said it was in the 160 range. It seems like everyone is certain that this is a girl (everyone but me...I have no clue) so if the heart rate stays high we will see if that old wives' tale is correct.

As I mentioned before, my belly is growing rather impressively (the rest of me is staying small and the weight gain is minimal, which wasn't the case with my last pregnancy, Mothership says this is all the more evidence that this is a girl). A couple of days ago Mr. C commented that I should probably just break down and go out and get some maternity pants. My response, which came out of my mouth without thinking about how it might upset him, was that I was waiting for my doctor appointments to make sure that the baby is still alive. Today when I called him to tell him about the heartbeat he was so relieved. He said that he has been worried since I said that. I realize that while it is important that I am honest with him about how I am feeling, he doesn't need to hear everything that goes through my often anxiety-riddled mind. To be sure, he does not. I pretty much span the range of hopes and fears throughout the day. My mind can be a scary place.

The doc brought up the cerclage surgery and when I told him I'd rather do it sooner than later he agreed to do it the first week of November. He had been indicating since our first conversation that he'd like to do it at 16 weeks, so I didn't expect it to be so easy to talk him into doing it earlier. I have a pre-op visit with him in two weeks. I am anxious about the surgery but am so glad that it doesn't require general anesthesia. The spinal is scary, but I find it to be a much less frightening option.

To change the subject to a non-pregnancy topic I have to say that I am counting down to the first week of November with much anticipation: 22 days until the election. Oh it is such a focus of our attention around here! We DVR several news shows a day, as well as The Daily Show and the Colbert Report (just to keep things in balance, you know). I am so captivated by it all. I'd like to say that I am shocked by some of the twists and turns that have developed, but things have gotten so bizarre that it is hard to even be shocked anymore. I have talked to many people who found the debates to be boring and, so far, my unscientific data collection proves out the stat that I heard that the majority of the viewers tune-out after about a half an hour. I, however, have watched all three debates practically on the edge of my seat. I am just so riveted by the possibility of what might be said or how it might be said or if a particular candidate might actually make eye-contact with his opponent. My years as a high school humanities teacher trained me well to hold a discussion about such a sticky topic without pissing anyone off or being too overt about my personal views. Fortunately my in-laws, while of a very different religious background, share my political perspective. And Mr. C and I are on the same page, too. I know several couples for whom this is not the case, so I am grateful. Perhaps if we all weren't of a like mind we would avoid the subject altogether, though. As it is, we have the tendency to get ourselves a little too worked-up sometimes. Which is why I am counting down the days. Oh, and we have a tight race for the Governor in Washington State as well. Last time it came down to a highly charged re-count, and the same two candidates are squaring off again. I am always glad when the election is over, because I feel like I can relax again.

8 comments:

Mrs Macgyver said...

Such great news! I wish I could've seen that grin on your face at that beautiful sound of Bub's hearbeat.

I'm glad that you have a doctor that listens to you and agreed to schedule the cerclage earlier. It helps so much to have an ob that you can trust.

I have to admit even I am following the lead up to your elections and I am an Australian! I obviously will not be voting either way, but it would be no contest for me.

Ange said...

Really pleased to hear about the thumping heartbeat. What a wonderful sound. Good luck with the cerclage and pleased your ob is doing it when you request.

niobe said...

What great news. Hope you'll keep us updated.

Julia said...

That is a sweet sweet sound. So glad you got to hear it, and that you have such good communication with your doctor. We just had our post-partum appointment with my OB, and I was again reminded of how helpful it is to have a great doctor in a subsequent pregnancy.

Sara said...

Awesome, sweet sound!

I am glad you're doing the cerclage earlier. I wondered about the 16 weeks when you posted earlier, but figured your doc had a reason.

As for the spinal, I was so terrified, and it ended up being no big deal. Kinda weird, but seriously, in retrospect, quite easy.

Let me know, seriously, if you have any questions about it.

Biggest tip I have post cerclage: When you pee, always stand up after you finish, and then sit back down, and try again. It went away, but in the first weeks, so necessary.

I'm so hopeful for you.

Anonymous said...

oh you poor thing with the lame wives tales. all the lame wives tales pointed to girls with both A and this one. and surprise! both boys. Heart rate changes with the size of the fetus, I'm at like 144 now, was at like 167 in the beginning. His mom SWORE to the point of me wanting to perform physical violence it was a girl even after we saw his junk 3 times.

The weight gain, I'm not sure where it came from or why but with A I was HUGE and all around swollen with weight gain totaling 45lbs, this one has about 8 weeks to go is all belly and I have only gained 22lbs.

ha ha ha i used to enjoy hearing all these ideas and theories and what not, and now at 31 weeks, it makes me feel like I have super pms...its bad.

I am so happy the bean is beating away, gaining weight is good, and just remember sweat pants are totally fine the first 10 and last 10 weeks.

also I am glad you're back to blog, we've missed you!!

Rosepetal said...

I'm so glad you heard the heartbeat. Thinking of you.

msfitzita said...

I'm so happy that everything is going so well. Sending lots of ((((HUGS)))) your way.