Monday, July 16, 2007

the big guns

I feel like my world has been turned upside down and shaken up...and this is not a bad thing, but it feels very bad most of the time.

I am facing things. I am forcing myself to have the hard conversations--with others and with myself. I am actively engaging in life. And while I know that change can be (by its very nature) tumultuous, today I finally asked for help in a way that I hadn't thought that I would really need.

I saw the new therapist last Wednesday and it went really well. She said that she might want to prescribe something for my anxiety, but wanted to wait until my following visit this Wednesday to see how I am doing. Today I called her and told her I don't think I can wait. I will pick up my prescription later today.

While things have been improving in all aspects of my life, there is still this strong undercurrent of anxiety that is always present. Yes, I can control it with breathing exercises and visualization. I can control it by dealing with things as they come up instead of trying to avoid them. I can control it, but only to a certain extent. Last night I woke up gasping for air. This has happened a couple of times in the last few weeks. That isn't good. No, I haven't been having all-out panic attacks (I've had them in the past, so I know for sure what they are) but this not being able to breathe thing is not good. And the worst "symptom" of all is this feeling of not being able to "be myself." This is making me feel crazy. Yesterday I really allowed myself to *be* with that feeling and I realized that at its core is this sense that I don't trust myself. Clearly it is something that I can and will work through in therapy, but I need to be able to sleep and eat in order to really do that work/live life.

5 comments:

Mrs. Collins said...

I hope the meds help. There is nothing wrong with taking them. I read recently that the most prescribed medication is for depression. It also sounds like you are ok at managing but just need a little help. What do you like about this new therapist (besides that he/she gives out drugs LOL!). I love my therapist because he gives me assignments to do. I find that helps me instead of just "shooting the breeze" with him for an hour. Keep us posted on the meds. I don't think I need depression meds, but I've had some anxiety issues in the past.

Sara said...

That's really good - I'm glad you're in touch with what you need and want. I do hope they help. I also want to hear more about the new therapist since I know you struggled to find a good one.

niobe said...

In the past, I've had what sound like somewhat similar feelings of anxiety -- where the anxiousness is present almost as background noise to everything I do. It was absolutely exhausting because everything -- even the absolute simplest tasks -- became mind-numbingly difficult. I hope the therapy and medication are helpful for you.

missing_one said...

If you are looking for a more natural sleep aides there is passion flower tea , chamomile tea and valerian in capsules (valarian is the strongest of all these - I think you can find it in a tea as well)
They don't give you the "hangover" that you might get with meds
As for feeling like "yourself"
I'm realizing that we can only feel versions of ourselves at any time and it is constantly changing..
Hope the new therapist is great

Julia said...

Hope the meds start helping soon.
I agree with Sara-- it's good that you are getting in touch with your needs and wants. And yes, it would be good to hear about the therapist, if you are comfortable, of course.